Thursday, April 11, 2013

Transition Space

Taptaptaptap taptaptap taptaptaptap taptaptaptaptaptap. My umbrella intensifies the sound of raindrops. Taptaptap taptaptap. Bleak dreary day. Taptaptap rumble thunder and a flash of light illuminates everything for a second. Taptaptap. I enter an open-air hallway before finally entering the building. The sound of rain and thunder is replaced by wheels rolling on the uneven slate floors. Catering student pushing her cart of desserts. Even closer. I smell the baked sweets. More and more. I avoid eye contact as I walk past. Wheels are all I can hear. Our paths cross, each going our opposite ways. She continues down the hallway to who knows where those sweet smelling cookies are meant for. I approach the exit and rush outside back into the storm. I like to use transition buildings to get places in this kind of weather. No use getting completely wet on my way home. I take my umbrella out. Taptaptap taptaptaptaptaptaptaptap taptaptaptaptaptaptap rumble taptaptap. April showers and a flash of light.

No comments: